Binary packages have limitations which can be overcome by compiling that application from its source code. Here are some of the reasons that you should build your application from source code.
- The application does not have a binary package at all.
- The application has binary packages, but not for your processor architecture or hardware configuration.
- The application has non-standard and experimental features features disabled by the distro vendor, which you actually need.
- The application has a bug in the binary package, for which the developer has provided a patch.
- To get new version of an application as soon as it is released.
- To enhance performance of an application.
- You are a developer or part of the developer community.